Help for Single Mothers in DELAWARE

Delaware, DE

Delaware is a relatively high income state, however that also means that the cost of living is comparatively higher. For single mothers working full-time on minimum wage, making ends meet is often a daily struggle.

Delaware Earned Income Tax Credit #

Delaware EITC took effect in tax year 2006 as a way for low to moderate income families in Delaware to keep more of what they earn with very little effort

The state EITC program, layered on top of the federal credit, can only be claimed by people who earn income through work.

Delaware’s EITC is partially refundable, taxpayers have the option to choose a non-refundable credit of up to 20% or a refundable EITC credit equal to up to 4.5% of the federal EITC, whichever is higher.

How much is Delaware Earned Income Credit?

NO. OF CHILD 20% 4.5%
0 $120 $27
1 $799 $179
2 $1,320 $297
3 or more $1,486 $334

To claim both the federal and Delaware’s EITC, you must first file a tax return — even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to do so because you had too little income.

Delaware Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) #

TANF is Delaware’s main cash assistance program for lower income families with children under the age of 18. It provides temporary financial assistance to help pay for food, shelter, utilities, and expenses other than medical.

In Delaware, you cannot receive TANF checks for more than 36 months in your lifetime, with some exceptions for the elderly, disabled persons, and children under age 18.

If you need short-term help rather than long-term ongoing cash assistance, you may request for one lump-sum payment through the Diversion Assistance Program.

How do I apply for TANF online in Delaware?

You may apply online via Delaware ASSIST or alternatively, you could submit your application to any local DSS office in person and be interviewed by a Social Worker to determine your eligibility.

Delaware Food Supplement Program #

Delaware's Food Supplement Program enables low-income families in Delaware to buy a variety of food that is the basis for better nutrition.

The amount of benefits your household can get is based on the income, expenses and number of people in your household — up to $740 for a family of three with no income and little resources.

What is the income limit for food stamps in Delaware?

Eligibility is based on gross income up to 200% of the poverty level. For example, a household of three qualifies for the program if it has a gross monthly income of $4,143 or less as well as a net monthly income of not more than $2,072.

Family Size 100% 200%
1 $1,215 $2,430
2 $1,643 $3,287
3 $2,072 $4,143
4 $2,500 $5,000
5 $2,928 $5,857
6 $3,357 $6,713
7 $3,785 $7,570
8 $4,213 $8,427

Gross income limit applies to most households, except those in which at least one person is 60 years of age or older, or receives disability income.

How do I apply for food stamps in Delaware?

Applications can be made through Delaware ASSIST — an online application for Delaware residents to screen and apply for the State’s public assistance programs.

Delaware Medicaid #

Delaware Medicaid provides medical assistance to eligible low-income Delaware’s families, including children, parents, pregnant women with limited income and resources.

As Delaware is expanding Medicaid coverage, nearly all uninsured adults and parents in Delaware between the ages of 19 and 64 with income up to 138% of the poverty level may now gain coverage.

Delaware Medicaid 147% 138% 217% 138%
1 $21,430 $20,120 $31,640 $20,120
2 $28,990 $27,210 $42,790 $27,210
3 $36,540 $34,310 $53,950 $34,310
4 $44,100 $41,400 $65,100 $41,400
5 $51,660 $48,490 $76,250 $48,490
6 $59,210 $55,590 $87,410 $55,590
7 $66,770 $62,680 $98,560 $62,680
8 $74,320 $69,770 $109,720 $69,770

A 5% disregard based on the federal poverty level (FPL) for the household size is applied and is reflected in the amounts shown above.

Where do I apply for Medicaid in Delaware?

Delaware is operating a State-Based Marketplace, known as Choose Health Delaware — through which you can apply for Medicaid, DHCP or other health insurance.

Delaware Healthy Children Program #

Delaware Healthy Children Program (DHCP) is targeted to uninsured children from birth to the age of 19 whose family income is at or below 217% of the federal poverty level.

DHCP provides high-quality health insurance with benefits including prescription drugs, routine checkups, immunizations, dental care, certain vision and hearing services, and mental health benefits.

What is the income limit for CHIP in Delaware?

DCHP is available to the children in families with income up to at least 217% of the poverty level. That's about $53,950 for a family of three to qualify.

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 1 $31,640
  • 2 $42,790
  • 3 $53,950
  • 4 $65,100
  • 5 $76,250
  • 6 $87,410
  • 7 $98,560
  • 8 $109,720

A 5% disregard based on the federal poverty level (FPL) for the household size is applied and is reflected in the amounts shown above.

To find out if your child may be eligible for DHCP medical coverage, please complete an online application using ASSIST which is the State of Delaware’s Application for Social Service Programs.

Delaware Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) #

Delaware Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) provides child care subsidy for income-eligible families who need help paying for child care. Priority will be given to families who are receiving Temporary Assistance (TANF).

A family is considered “income eligible” when their gross monthly income is less than 300% of the federal poverty level at the time of initial application. For a family of three, the threshold is $6,215 per month to qualify.

What is the income limit for child care assistance in Delaware?

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 2 $4,930
  • 3 $6,215
  • 4 $7,500
  • 5 $8,785
  • 6 $10,070
  • 7 $11,355
  • 8 $12,640

Families that qualify for the subsidy program can choose their own child care provider. The state pays a portion of the cost of child care, while the parent is responsible to pay a co-payment to the provider each month.

How do I apply for child care assistance in Delaware?

To request an application or for more information contact

Delaware Opportunities Child Care Assistance Program
35430 State Hwy. 10
Hamden, NY 13782

Delaware Head Start #

Delaware Head Start provides comprehensive child development services to Delaware’s children, with a special focus on helping preschoolers from three to school entry develop the early reading and math skills they need to be successful in school.

To be eligible, families must have an annual income at or below federal poverty guidelines — that’s about $24,860 a year for a single mother of two. Families receiving TANF benefits are automatically eligible.

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 1 $1,215
  • 2 $1,643
  • 3 $2,072
  • 4 $2,500
  • 5 $2,928
  • 6 $3,357
  • 7 $3,785
  • 8 $4,213

Where do I apply for Head Start in Delaware?

If you need more help to locate a Head Start program in your area, call the Head Start Collaboration Office at 302-739-4667.

Delaware Section 8 #

Delaware Section 8 offers housing subsidies to eligible low-income Delawareans to rent housing units from participating landlords. Applicants who reside in Kent or Sussex County have priority on the waiting list.

Participants pay no more than 35% of their income for rent and utilities. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development subsidizes the balance of the rent.

As a condition of eligibility, participants, with the exception of the elderly and disabled, are required to enroll — or be enrolled, in the Moving to Work program.

A list of units and Landlord contact information can be found at Delaware Housing Search or by calling (877)-428-8844.

Is the Section 8 waiting list open in Delaware?

No. Delaware's Housing Choice Voucher waiting list is currently closed. At the time of this writing, it is not known when the waiting list will be open.

Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP) #

Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP) provides one-time assistance to income eligible households to help them meet their home energy needs.

DEAP, also known as LIHEAP, offers the following supports to eligible households:

  1. Fuel Assistance Program
    Applications are open from Oct. 1 to April 30
  2. Energy Crisis Intervention Program
  3. Summer Cooling Assistance Program
    Applications open as early as May 1 and close as late as Aug 31

Income eligibility is defined as 200% of the federal poverty level. For example, a family of three earning up to $4,143 a month may qualify for DEAP.

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 1 $2,430
  • 2 $3,287
  • 3 $4,143
  • 4 $5,000
  • 5 $5,857
  • 6 $6,713
  • 7 $7,570
  • 8 $8,427

How can I get help with my electric bill in Delaware?

As DEAP is administered by Catholic Charities, Inc., applicants should call their local office to find out where and how to apply for assistance.

Delaware Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) #

Delaware LIHWAP offers a one-time crisis benefit up to $1,926 to help qualified households pay their water and wastewater past due utility bills to avoid shutoffs or disconnections.

Households eligible for LIHEAP meet the eligibility requirements for LIHWAP as well, which includes an annual income being at or below 60% of the current State Median Income.

How do I get help paying my water bill in Delaware?

If you are unable to afford your current water bills and need help, you must complete and submit your application to:

Delaware Division of Public
Health Health Systems Protection

Delaware Unemployment Insurance #

Delaware Unemployment Insurance (UI) provides temporary, partial income replacement to workers who have earned a minimum amount of wages and are out of work through no fault of their own.

It is intended to pay temporary benefits to eligible claimants during times of unemployment when suitable work is not available.

In Delaware, the weekly benefit amount is between $20 to $450 payable up to a maximum of 26 weeks, unless otherwise extended.

How do I apply for unemployment in Delaware?

You can file your initial claim online or by telephone at (302) 761-6576. A one week waiting period is now in effect for all new claims, during which benefits will not be paid.

The Delaware Department of Labor has compiled its own FAQ document that can be viewed here.

Delaware Scholarship Incentive Program (ScIP) #

Despite the name, the Scholarship Incentive Program is a grant. ScIP is a need based grant of $1,000 awarded to eligible students who demonstrate substantial financial need, as determined by FAFSA.

Students who would like to be considered for a ScIP must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before May 15th and complete an online application through the Student Account Access Site.

Scholarship Incentive Program (ScIP) grants are non-renewable, students must submit their FAFSA every year for consideration.

If this is not your state, please select yours here.
Share this article