Help for Single Mothers in ALASKA

Alaska, AK

In a state where “we live and die by oil”, Alaska is officially in recession due to plummeting oil prices hitting the state hard. Among the hardest-hit is single parent families who are already struggling to make ends meet — even during the best of times.

Alaska Temporary Assistance Program #

Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) provides temporary cash assistance and work-readiness services to low-income families with children to help them with basic needs.

The focus of ATAP is self sufficiency. For this reason, ATAP participants are required to immediately seek paid employment opportunities or participate in work related activities for a specified number of hours per week.

In Alaska, the maximum benefit for a family with one parent and two children with no income is $923 per month.

How do I apply for welfare in Alaska?

To apply for Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP), you need to download an application and submit it to the Public Assistance office closest to you.

Click here for a list of Public Assistance local offices.

Adult Public Assistance (APA) #

Adult Public Assistance (APA), a state program run by the Alaska Division of Public Assistance, provides cash assistance​ to adults with disabilities and seniors who have limited income and resources.

If you qualify for APA, you get monthly cash payments to help you pay for your basic needs and also qualify for Medicaid health coverage, without having to file a separate application.

How much is adult public assistance in Alaska?

A person who is single and residing in an assisted living facility can get up to $1,014 per month in APA benefits or $1,571 per month for a couple.

Alaska Food Stamp Program #

Alaska Food Stamp Program (SNAP) is a 100% federally funded program that provides food assistance to very low income people and families in Alaska.

Eligible applicants must pass income and assets tests. The gross income test is based on 130% of the current Alaska’s poverty standard.

What is the income limit for food stamps in Alaska?

In general, a household of three qualifies for the program if it has a gross monthly income of $3,366 or less as well as a net monthly income of not more than $2,589.

Family Size 100% 130%
1 $1,518 $1,973
2 $2,053 $2,669
3 $2,589 $3,366
4 $3,125 $4,063
5 $3,661 $4,759
6 $4,197 $5,456
7 $4,733 $6,153
8 $5,268 $6,849

Gross income limit applies to most households, except those in which at least one person is 60 years of age or older, or receives disability income.

Alaska's asset limit is $2,750. This limit goes up to $4,250 if your household includes at least one elderly (60+) or disabled person.

How do I apply for food stamps in Alaska?

Alaska does not have an online application. If you think you might be eligible for food stamps benefits, submit your application to the Public Assistance office closest to you.

Alaska General Relief Assistance (GRA) #

Alaska's General Relief Assistance (GRA) is a safety net program designed to help eligible individuals and families in emergency situations such as shelter (eviction notice), utilities (shut-off notice), food, clothing, or burial.

Eligibility and relief amount will be determined by the department on a case-to-case basis and is limited to a maximum of $120 for each household member in an emergency situation.

How do I apply for relief assistance in Alaska?

An electronic application for emergency assistance is currently not available. Please contact 800-478-7778 (TDD/Alaska Relay: 7-1-1) and apply for GRA benefits over the phone.

Alaska Medicaid #

Alaska Medicaid is the primary health insurance program for specified low-income target groups in Alaska, which includes:

  1. Medicaid
  2. Denali KidCare
  3. Chronic and Acute Medical Assistance (CAMA)

Chronic and Acute Medical Assistance (CAMA) is a state-funded program for Alaskans aged 21 to 65 who do not qualify for Medicaid but who need help with one or more specific illnesses

Who is eligible for Alaska Medicaid?

Potential recipients include low-income children, pregnant women, families, and the elderly, blind, and permanently disabled.

Medicaid expansion provides coverage to adults without dependent children between ages 19 and 64 who have income that are less than 138% of the Alaska’s poverty level.

Alaska Medicaid 177% 205% 138%
1 $32,230 $37,330 $25,130
2 $43,610 $50,510 $34,000
3 $54,990 $63,690 $42,880
4 $66,380 $76,880 $51,750
5 $77,760 $90,060 $60,620
6 $89,140 $103,240 $69,500
7 $100,520 $116,420 $78,370
8 $111,900 $129,600 $87,240

A 5% disregard based on the Alaska's poverty level for the household size is applied and is reflected in the amounts shown above.

Aged, blind or disabled individuals who qualify for Alaska's Adult Public Assistance (APA) also qualify for Medicaid.

How do I apply for Alaska Medicaid?

Apply for Medicaid online at MyAlaska — you’ll need to create an account if you don’t already have one, or go to the federally facilitated marketplace (FFM) at

To check your eligibility, use the state’s online eligibility screening tool.

Alaska Denali KidCare (CHIP) #

Denali KidCare is a Medicaid health coverage for children from birth through age 18, including post-partum care of pregnant women who meet income guidelines.

Denali KidCare provides Medicaid coverage if the household income does not exceed 208% of the Alaska’s poverty standard — about $64,630 a year for a family of three.

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 1 $37,880
  • 2 $51,250
  • 3 $64,630
  • 4 $78,000
  • 5 $91,370
  • 6 $104,750
  • 7 $118,120
  • 8 $131,500

A 5% disregard based on the Alaska's poverty level for the household size is applied and is reflected in the amounts shown above.

There is no premium charged for eligible children, teens and pregnant women. However, youth age 18 may be required to share a limited amount of the cost for some services.

How do I apply for Denali KidCare?

If a child in your care is currently uninsured, text KIDCARE to 898-211 to see if they are eligible to receive FREE health insurance through Denali KidCare.

Alaska Child Care Assistance Program #

Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) in Alaska is known as “Parents Achieving Self Sufficiency” (PASS) and is divided into three categories:

  1. PASS I,
  2. PASS II,
  3. PASS III.

PASS I provides child care assistance for families receiving benefits under the Alaska Temporary Assistance Program. Unlike the other two, PASS I does not require you to contribute toward your child care costs.

PASS II is for those who are transitioning from the Alaska TAP and PASS III is for families who are not eligible for, or who have never received, PASS I or PASS II.

Depending on your family’s size and monthly income, you will be responsible to contribute, on a monthly basis, toward your child care costs.

How do I apply for child care assistance in Alaska?

If you are already receiving ATAP benefits, contact your case manager or DPA case worker to request for more information on how to apply for PASS I child care assistance.

Eligibility for PASS II/III child care assistance, on the other hand, is not automatic. You must complete and submit an application to your local Child Care Assistance office.

Alaska Heating Assistance Program (HAP) #

Alaska's Heating Assistance Program — commonly known as “HAP” — is a safeguard to offset the cost of home heating for eligible Alaskan residents, providing one-time payment each season between November 1 and August 31.

HAP requires a recipient household to be at or below 150% of the Alaska’s poverty standard and have at least $200 in out-of-pocket heating costs each year.

The income limits for families of different sizes are listed in the table below.

  • Family Size Income Limit
  • 1 $2,277
  • 2 $3,080
  • 3 $3,884
  • 4 $4,688
  • 5 $5,492
  • 6 $6,295
  • 7 $7,099
  • 8 $7,903

Benefits are calculated using a point system based on the area of the state where you live, heat type, dwelling type, household size and income.

Applications are available at Public Assistance offices throughout the state.

Alaska HAP Information Hotline

  • In Anchorage 907-269-5777
  • Outside of Anchorage 888-804-6330

Alaska Unemployment Insurance #

Alaska Unemployment Insurance (UI) is designed to provide temporary benefit payments to eligible Alaskans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own, and who are ready, willing, and able to work.

Those who file for unemployment are required to seek work and report a required number of work searches for each week claimed, unless deferred.

How much is Alaska unemployment benefits?

The unemployment insurance benefits are based on the amount of wages earned during the covered period. In Alaska, the benefits range from $56 – $370 per week, claimable up to a total of 26 weeks.

In addition, you may collect a dependent's allowance of $24 per week per dependent, for up to three dependents.

How do I file for unemployment in Alaska?

For the fastest filing method, go to and click on “Unemployment Insurance Benefits” to initiate a claim or if you wish to file over the phone, contact the number listed below for claim center closest to your area.

  • Anchorage (907) 269-4700
  • Juneau (907) 465-5552
  • Fairbanks (907) 451-2871

Alaska Education Grant (AEG) #

Alaska Education Grant (AEG) provides need-based financial assistance to eligible Alaska students attending qualifying postsecondary institutions in Alaska.

Grant awards typically range from $500 to $4,000 per academic year for students who have qualifying unmet financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

The availability of funds is limited, so eligible students with the highest financial need will be awarded in order of need until funds are exhausted.

Alaska Performance Scholarship (APS) #

Alaska Performance Scholarship provides an opportunity for Alaska high school students to earn a scholarship to help cover the cost of postsecondary education in Alaska.

To qualify for APS, students must take a specific, rigorous high school curriculum, earn a minimum 2.5 GPA, and do well on a college or career-readiness exam.

How much is the Alaska Performance Scholarship?

Alaska’s hardest-working students with GPA 3.5 may earn up to $4,755 a year, up to $3,566 for students with GPA 3.0 and up to $2,378 for students with GPA 2.5.

Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) #

Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend (PFD) is a taxable, yearly dividend, financed indirectly from oil revenues, paid by the state government to every Alaska residents including all men, women, and children.

To be eligible for a PFD, you must have been an Alaska resident for the entire calendar year preceding the date you apply for a dividend.

The application period is January 1 through March 31 of the year for which you are applying. Applications filed after March 31 will be denied by law as late applications.

How much will Alaska PFD be this year?

The dividend payout for 2023 is $1,300 per household member, which comes to about $3,900 for a family of three.

If this is not your state, please select yours here.
Share this article