Of all the states, Wyoming has the largest share of working mothers with young children who work in low-paying jobs. In an effort to close the gap, a number of state-sponsored programs are made available to help these families with the much needed financial assistance.

$ 712
$ 413
$ 508

Wyoming Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) #


TANF provides temporary cash assistance to lower income families in Wyoming. Its primary goal is to assist families near the poverty level to become self-sufficient through employment, cash support and other resources.

In Wyoming, the TANF program is called POWER], Personal Opportunities With Employment Responsibilities. All eligible families in Wyoming receive at least 24 months of assistance.

How do I get welfare in Wyoming?

The law requires all TANF applicants, as a condition of eligibility, to participate in work-related activities with the exception of those that are disabled or over 60 years old.

Wyoming Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) #


Wyoming SNAP enables eligible low-income individuals and families to receive cash benefits to help pay for food. It provides crucial support to needy households and to those moving from welfare to work.

Eligibility is based on household size, income, assets and some household expenses. The maximum monthly benefit is $124 for a single individual up to $413 for a family of three.

How do I apply for food stamps in Wyoming?

Cent$ible Nutrition Program #

The Cent$ible Nutrition Program (CNP) is a free cooking and nutrition education program for SNAP participants in Wyoming. CNP offers classes on how to healthy food on a limited income

Wyoming Medicaid #


Medicaid is a health insurance program for specified low-income target groups in Wyoming. Potential recipients include children, pregnant women, the aged, blind, and/or disabled.

Wyoming Medicaid covers children under age 6 and pregnant women with family income below 154% of the federal poverty level; and up to 133% of poverty level for children age 6 – 18.

As Wyoming is not expanding Medicaid coverage, most low-income adults without children and some parents may not be eligible. However, you may still be able to get financial assistance to pay for coverage in the marketplace.

Wyoming Kid Care CHIP #


Kid Care CHIP is Wyoming’s Children’s Health Insurance Program designed to provide health, vision and dental insurance to Wyoming’s children and teens through the age of 18. 1

Kid Care CHIP is available to the children of parents’ whose income lies below 200% of the federal poverty level and are not eligible for Medicaid.

The easiest way to apply for Kid Care CHIP is to call

or apply online at

Wyoming Child Care Subsidy Program #


The Child Care Subsidy Program helps low income Wyoming’s families pay for the cost of care while working or in school. Eligibility is based on the family’s gross income and household size.

The subsidy amount varies based on the your gross monthly income, family size, and type and cost of care AND since it is a subsidy, you may be required to pay for some of the child care costs.

If you’re applying for the first time, contact the DFS office in your county and request an application or schedule an interview with DFS eligibility officer.

Wyoming Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) #


CACFP provides nutritious meals and snacks to infants and children as a regular part of their day care. The program aims to improve the quality of nutrition offered at a critical time in young children’s development.

The majority of CACFP participants are preschool-aged children up to 12 years of age as well as those living in emergency shelters.

If you wish to know more about the Child and Adult Care Food Program, get in touch with the Wyoming Department of Education at 307-777-7168.

Wyoming Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) #


LIEAP assists eligible low-income households in Wyoming in meeting their immediate home energy needs. It helps cover the costs of electricity, natural gas, propane, wood, diesel heating oil, coal and pellets when these are used for heating a home.

How do I apply for LIHEAP in Wyoming?

Applications for the LIEAP are available beginning October and are accepted through February. Visit https://www.lieapwyo.org/ to submit your application online

If eligible, households receive a one-time credit deposited directly into their utility accounts, usually in the months of November through June.

Wyoming Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) #


WAP help reduce energy costs for low-income households by increasing the energy efficiency of their homes, while ensuring their health and safety. Through weatherization services, these households may save 10% — 35% annually on home heating bills.

Priority is given to the elderly, disabled and homes with children under five. Those who are approved for assistance through LIEAP are also eligible. However, you are not required to accept LIEAP to receive weatherization assistance.

For more information on how to apply or to ask that an application be mailed to you, call

Wyoming Unemployment Insurance #


Unemployment insurance pays temporary benefits to those who have lost their job through no fault of their own. Benefits are paid weekly based upon their past wages in employment — up to a maximum of $508.

You can file a new claim by calling the Wyoming Claims Center at 1-(307)-473-3789. If living outside of Wyoming, you can call 1-(866)-729-7799.

For your convenience, you may also file electronically. However, the new state regulation requires all Wyoming claimants to register for work on wyomingatwork.com. Failure to do so will result in delay or denial of benefits.

Wyoming College Access Grant #


Wyoming College Access Grant is a statewide “need-based” grant given to Wyoming residents attending college for the first time. Preference is given to students who qualify for federal Pell grant.

It will provide a $1,000 award to approximately 600 neediest students across the state. Since funds are limited, early FAFSA filing before March 1st deadline, is encouraged.

  1. Wyoming CHIP will be managed by Wyoming Medicaid instead of Blue Cross Blue Shield and Delta Dental of Wyoming.