The state of Oklahoma understands the plight of its most disadvantaged residents — notably single mothers from lower income families. And to make life easier for them, a set of support programs has been made available to provide a “safety net” for these families.

$ 292
$ 414
$ 539

List of Grants for Single Mothers in Oklahoma

Oklahoma Earned Income Tax Credit #


Oklahoma’s EITC is the little sister of the federal EITC — a tax credit designed to benefit working families. Taxpayers who receive the federal credit automatically qualify for the state credit, which is equal to 5% of the amount claimed on IRS returns.

The state of Oklahoma once allowed the EITC to be both non-refundable and refundable. However, for the 2016 filing year, Oklahoma’s EITC has been made non-refundable.

In 2021, Oklahoma reversed this decision and restored refundability of the credit.

Qualifying taxpayers could now claim the credit to offset any taxes they owe, and use the credit to claim cash refund beyond their tax liability.

Oklahoma Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) #


Oklahoma TANF provides public assistance programs for eligible families with children under the age of 18, on a time-limited basis. Oklahoma’s maximum cash benefit is $292 per month for a family of three.

Among the program’s purposes are:

  1. to provide temporary assistance to needy families;
  2. to end dependency of needy parents by promoting job preparation and work.

As a result, TANF recipients are required to participate in work related activities for a specified number of hours per week.

How do I apply for TANF in Oklahoma?

To apply for TANF, you must submit completed form 08MP001 (Request for Benefits) to your local DHS Human Services Center near you. If help is needed, call 1-866-411-1877 for assistance.

Oklahoma Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) #


Oklahoma SNAP serves to improve the diets of low-income Oklahomans, regardless of age, by providing them with monthly food and nutrition assistance at no cost and serves as the first line of defense against hunger.

In Oklahoma, SNAP benefits are issued to more than 600,000 adults and children each month — more than 70% participants are lower income families with children.

The benefit amount varies from family to family according to income, family size, and available resources. If eligible, you’ll receive your benefits through the “Access Oklahoma EBT” card.

How do I apply for SNAP in Oklahoma?

You can apply for SNAP and other programs at any DHS office. If you have ever had a DHS case number, you can apply online at OK Benefits.

Oklahoma SoonerCare #


SoonerCare, Oklahoma’s Medicaid program, guarantees coverage for basic health and long-term care services for eligible Oklahoma residents — mostly uninsured children under age 19, parents, and pregnant women.

SoonerCare is free for those who meet the income guidelines; however, co-pays may apply to some services. If you are uninsured, call 1-800-987-7767 to find out if SoonerCare is the right option for you.

As Oklahoma is expanding coverage, Medicaid is now available to all adults age between 19-64 with incomes up to 138% of the federal poverty level, including pregnant women.


How do I apply for SoonerCare online?

If you want to apply for health insurance for yourself and everyone in your immediate family who lives with you, you may do so at apply.okhca.org.

SoonerPlan is Oklahoma’s family planning program for women and men age 19 and above with family planning needs who are not enrolled in regular SoonerCare.

Oklahoma Child Care Assistance Program #


CCAP in Oklahoma is available for children under age 13 or up to age 18 for children with special needs whose parent is either employed or enrolled in school.

Eligibility is based on family size, the number of children in care and amount of income. Families of three earning approximately $4000 a month may qualify.

The program pays for part of the child care costs, and you co-pay for a portion based on the size of the family, the amount of your income, and the number of children in care.

Oklahoma Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) Program #


Oklahoma is one of three states in the nation to offer free voluntary pre-Kindergarten to all 4-year-olds in participating school districts. Most of Oklahoma’s public school districts voluntarily offer half-day or full-day Pre-K classes.

Although pre-Kindergarten is free, there is typically a charge for before- and after-school care to complete day for working families. To enroll your child in Pre-K, call your local elementary school.

Oklahoma Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program #


Oklahoma Section 8 is a federally funded State’s program which assists low income families in paying their rent and utilities. Eligible families will have part of their rent paid each month by the Oklahoma City Housing Authority.

Families determined eligible for the program will receive a Housing Choice Voucher to rent a unit of their choice within the Oklahoma City limits.


How do I apply for Section 8 in Oklahoma?

To apply for Section 8, you must register at portal.ochanet.org with a login and password then follow the directions to complete the on-line pre-application process.

Eligible pre-applications received through the portal will be entered on the waiting list in the order received. When the voucher is issued, you have 60 days to locate a suitable unit.

Oklahoma Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) #


LIHEAP provides eligible low-income Oklahoma households with winter heating bill assistance. The program also pays for summer cooling and/or weatherization aid.

Eligibility for the LIHEAP program is based on a household’s total income, household size, dwelling type, and type of heating fuel, among others. Application begins in the month of December and will be accepted until the state runs out of money.

Crisis assistance is also available to provide help for families who have received utility cut-off notices. Proof of identification, and the most recent heating bill is required.


How do I apply for LIHEAP in Oklahoma?

To apply for LIHEAP, you need to visit

Oklahoma Unemployment Insurance #


Unemployment Insurance is a program of social insurance that provides a temporary source of income for Oklahomans unemployed through no fault of their own — up to a maximum of $539 per week.

As a condition of eligibility, you are required to register for employment services at OKJobMatch.com within seven (7) days of filing your initial claim. This interactive job search tool is designed to help you connect with employers and their job openings.


How do I file for unemployment online in Oklahoma?

You can apply by telephone or by using the Internet. To file over the Internet, just go to Oklahoma Network Initial Claims (ONIC) to file your claim for benefits.

To file by telephone, call (405) 525-1500 if you live within the metropolitan calling area of Oklahoma City or 1-800-555-1554 if you live anywhere outside.

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grants (OTAG) #


OTAG is a grant offered by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) to residents of Oklahoma who attend Oklahoma’s public and private colleges and universities.

The current maximum annual award is $1,000 for students attending public colleges, universities or career technology centers, and $1,300 for students attending eligible private colleges or universities.

Application is made through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available through the financial aid office at the college you are planning to attend, or at FAFSA.gov.

Oklahoma Promise #


Oklahoma PROMISE allows students in the 8th through 10th grades 4 whose parents earning less than $55,000 in income apply for free college tuition.

The award amount is determined annually by the Oklahoma State Regents — the amount of which depends upon the type of institution attended and the number of hours in which the student enrolls.

Application for Oklahoma PROMISE is available online. For more information, call the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education’s information hotline at 800-858-1840.