Home to 2.9 million people, the “Sunflower State” has its share of concern for the plight of single mothers living below poverty. Kansas hopes to ease the burden for many of these families by implementing various key support programs.

$ 429
$ 387
$ 488

List of Grants for Single Mothers in Kansas

Kansas Earned Income Tax Credit #


Kansas offers its own state credit that is equal to 17% of the federal credit. Like the federal EITC, the Kansas credit is fully refundable, meaning a taxpayer can receive a refund amount when the credit is larger than the tax amount owed.

Working Kansans — primarily those with children — earning up to $52,000 can qualify for Kansas EITC, but the largest benefits go to families with incomes between about $10,000 and $23,000.

The amount of EITC depends on the recipient’s income, marital status and no. of children. To calculate the Kansas EITC, you would multiply your federal EITC by 17% — a federal EITC of $100 would net a $17 refund from the state.

Kansas Food Assistance Program #


Kansas Food Assistance Program is a nutrition assistance program that provides monthly benefits to help families with little or no income buy the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels.

If eligible, you will receive an electronic EBT card, the Kansas Benefits Card that is preloaded monthly with cash benefits. The card can be used to purchase food from local grocery stores.


How do I sign up for food stamps in Kansas?

Applications are available at your local DCF Service Center. You may also submit your application online at DCF Self-Service Portal. If help is needed, please call 1-888-369-4777 or visit your local DCF Service Center.

Kansas Successful Families Program #


Successful Families Program, Kansas’ TANF, is the monthly cash assistance program for poor Kansas families with children under age 18. The program goal is to provide necessary assistance to needy families with children on a temporary basis.

In Kansas, receipt of cash assistance is now limited to 24 months in a lifetime. The amount of cash benefit provided depends upon your income, household size, and the county where you live.


How much is cash assistance in Kansas?

A single mother with two kids may receive a maximum of $386 to $429 per month in payments from TANF, depending on the cost of living in the county where she lives.

KanCare #


KanCare — the new name for Kansas Medicaid, provides affordable health insurance for the uninsured pregnant women, the disabled and children ages 0 – 19 whose parents who can’t get or can’t afford private health insurance.

As Kansas is not expanding Medicaid coverage, many uninsured adults in Kansas who would have been newly-eligible for Medicaid will remain without a coverage.

The cost of KanCare is based on a sliding income scale. Most families qualify with no out-of pocket expense, but some families may have to pay a $20 or $30 monthly premium per family.


How do I apply for KanCare in Kansas?

If you are signing up for KanCare for the first time, you can call 1-800-792-4884 to request for application or apply electronically. Self-assessment tool is also available for you to see what you might be eligible for.

Kansas Special Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) #


Kansas WIC is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food and other services, at no cost, to Kansas families who qualify.

Kansas WIC serves women, infants, and children in Kansas whose gross income falls below certain limits and who are at risk for nutritional deficiencies.

To be eligible, a household’s gross income must not exceed 185% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. That's about $3,380 a month for a family of three to qualify.


How to apply for WIC in Kansas?

To apply for WIC benefits, you must call your local WIC agency to schedule an appointment, during which there will be a brief review of foods you eat, medical history and current health status to determine the medical or nutritional need.

Kansas Child Care Subsidy Program #


Kansas Child Care Subsidy Program provides subsidy for income-eligible Kansas families who need help paying for child care. Funding is limited and there is often a waiting list in place.

The subsidy amount varies based on the your gross monthly income, family size, and type and cost of care AND since it is a subsidy, you may be required to pay for some of the child care costs.

How do I apply for child care assistance in Kansas?

Pick up an application at any DCF Office in your town or county to enroll and for your convenience, you may apply online at Kansas’ Department for Children & Families.

For more information, call 1-888-369-4777.

Kansas Head Start/Early Head Start #


Kansas Head Start provides comprehensive educational, health, nutritional, and social services for low-income children from birth to entry into elementary school. Priority is given to children with special needs.

Program services include:

  • Quality early education
  • Parent education
  • Comprehensive health and mental health services, including services to women before, during and after pregnancy
  • Nutrition education
  • Family support service
  • Child care for parents who are employed, attending school or in a job training program

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas and be responsible for a child who is too young for public school.

To find a Head Start or Early Head Start program near you, call 1-866-763-6481 or use the Head Start Locator to find the program serving your community.

Kansas Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) #


Kansas LIEAP is an energy assistance program that helps eligible low-income households pay a portion of their winter heating bills. Priority is given to the elderly, disabled and households with children.

LIEAP pays one benefit per year on behalf of qualifying households with income not exceeding 130% of the federal poverty level. A supplemental payment for summer cooling may be issued, depending on funding.


How do I apply for LIEAP in Kansas?

LIEAP applications are available at local DCF offices and through partnering agencies throughout the state. Call 1-800-432-0043 for additional information on how and where to apply.

Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA) #


The Kansas Emergency Rental Assistance (KERA) program provides rent, utility, and internet assistance to households experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID pandemic.

KERA serves Kansans outside the city of Wichita earning no more than 80 percent of their area’s median income, and it covers:

  1. up to 12 months of current and past due household rent
  2. up to three months of prospective rent at a time, even if the household does not have rental arrears
  3. past due residential utility, home energy (electric, gas, water, sewer, and trash services), and internet expenses

Landlords and tenants may apply via a joint online process. If the application is approved, the landlord and/or service provider receives funds directly from KERA.

Wichita residents may apply through the Wichita Emergency Rental Assistance Program (WERAP) administered by the city’s Housing and Community Services division.

Kansas Unemployment Insurance #


Unemployment insurance benefits provide temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own that meet Kansas’ eligibility requirements.

If you meet the eligibility requirements of the law, you’re entitled to supplemental income while you are looking for a new job, up to a maximum of 26 weeks. Kansas was providing 16 weeks of UI before COVID-19.

To file a new application for unemployment benefits, go to www.GetKansasBenefits.gov or if you wish to file by phone, call one of the following numbers

(785) 575-1460

Kansas City
(913) 596-3500

(316) 383-9947

(800) 292-6333

Kansas Comprehensive Grant #


Funded by the state of Kansas, Kansas Comprehensive Grant is available to financially needy Kansas residents who are enrolled full-time at 18 private colleges and universities in Kansas, the six state universities, and Washburn University.

Award amounts range from $200 – $3,500 at the private institutions and $100 – $1,500 at the public institutions. To be considered, you must complete and submit the FAFSA, listing one or more eligible colleges in the FAFSA.

Kansas Career Work-Study (KCWS) #


Kansas Career Work Study program is a state-funded program intended to provide employers with incentives to hire students to work in career-related positions.

It is available to Kansas residents, enrolled at least half-time at the six state universities and Washburn University — at least 6 credit hours during the Fall and Spring.

You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this program. If awarded, you will be advised of the maximum amount you can earn.