What Do I Need to Fill Out my FAFSA?

FAFSA is a lengthy form, and can be a confusing one — but if you’ve done enough prep work, it may be easier than you think!

To complete the FAFSA, you will need your FSA ID — which acts as your signature, and most importantly, records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school.

Essentially, for the 2017-2018 school year you will need financial information from 2017.

Once you’ve assembled all the necessary materials, filling out the FAFSA should be a fairly simple task.

Here’s a checklist of documents you’ll need to get you started.

If you don’t have all the documents ready yet, it is perfectly okay to start your FAFSA, save it, and come back later to finish it.

Personal Documents

  1. Your Social Security Number (SSN)
  2. Driver’s license number and state of issuance (if any)
  3. Alien Registration Number (if an eligible non-citizen)
  4. FSA ID to sign electronically. If you do not already have one, please create one.

Proof of Income

  1. Taxable income from W-2 & 1099 forms (if available)
  2. Records of money earned or received from Federal Work-Study or other need-based work programs
  3. Untaxed income, including workers’ compensation; child support; housing, food and other living allowances; or veterans benefits, etc1

Tax Documents

  1. Your Federal Income Tax Return (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) and your spouse’s, if you are married or
  2. The equivalent foreign tax return

If you have filed your tax return, you have the option of automatically retrieving your income and tax data from the IRS and having it transferred straight into your FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.

If you have not yet completed your tax return, you can still submit your FAFSA using best estimates. After you submit your tax return, you can correct any income or tax information that is different from what you initially submitted on your FAFSA.


  1. Bank statements as of the date the FAFSA is completed
  2. Business and investment information; business and farm records; stocks, bonds, and other investment records (as applicable)

If you are a dependent student, you may also need records of your parents’ income information.

  1. The Social Security Number(s) of your parent(s)
  2. The income and financial records (as listed above) of your parent(s)

Be sure to keep all of the documentation that you gather to complete the FAFSA. You may need this later if your application is chosen for verification.

  1. Use income records from the calendar year that is prior to the year you plan to attend school.