Arkansas TANF

Arkansas Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) is a time-limited welfare program to help needy families in Arkansas become more responsible for their own support. Through training, education and work activities, TEA aims to reduce dependence of needy parents on public assistance.

Benefits may include cash payments, childcare assistance, help with transportation, employment-related services, including job-readiness activities, and other supportive services.

Currently Arkansas has one of the lowest monthly benefit levels in the country, at $204 per month for a family of three. In addition, the law limits the receipt of TEA benefits to no more than 24 months, unless otherwise transitioned into Arkansas Work Pays.


Who qualifies for TEA in Arkansas? #


To qualify for welfare in Arkansas, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:

  1. Be a resident of the state of Arkansas
  2. Be a US citizen, national, legal alien or permanent resident
  3. Qualify as a low-income family
  4. Be responsible for a child under the age of 18

As the focus of TANF is self-sufficiency through work, all work-eligible recipients of TEA cash assistance must actively seek employment or participate in work activities for a specified number of hours per week.

How much does TEA pay in Arkansas? #


Arkansas’ cash assistance benefit level is the third lowest in the country at only $204 per month for a family of three with little or no income and it's time-limited.

How do I apply for the TEA program? #


Application for Transitional Employment Assistance (TEA) can be filed in person at the Department of Human Services (DHS) office in the county where you reside.

You may also apply online at Access Arkansas — the self-service online portal provided by the Arkansas Department of Human Services (DHS).

After your application is filed, an interview will be arranged to determine your family’s eligibility, either in-person or over-the-phone.

For more information about Arkansas TEA, call
Arkansas Department of Workforce Services
(855) 225-4440