The Idaho Legislature established the Opportunity Scholarship to assist low-income, talented students who are “at-risk” of failing to obtain a college education — up to $3,500 per academic year.
Students may use the Opportunity Scholarship at any public Idaho institution and BYU-Idaho, Northwest Nazarene University, and College of Idaho.
Applicants for the opportunity scholarship are selected on the basis of demonstrated financial need as determined by FAFSA and their cumulative GPA.
Who qualifies for the Idaho Opportunity Scholarship? #
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen
- Must be a resident of Idaho
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have an unweighted, cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above
- Must demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA
- Must attend an eligible Idaho college or university (see below)
Eligible Idaho colleges or universities #
- Boise State University
- Brigham Young University – Idaho
- College of Idaho
- College of Southern Idaho
- College of Western Idaho
- College of Eastern Idaho
- Idaho State University
- Lewis-Clark State College
- North Idaho College
- Northwest Nazarene University
- University of Idaho
- Western Governors University
How much money does the Idaho Opportunity Scholarship give? #
The Opportunity Scholarship awards eligible applicants up to $3,500 per academic year and is renewable for up to four years provided the recipient continues to meet the eligibility requirements.
How to apply for Opportunity Scholarship? #
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the State Board of Education scholarship application no later than March 1.
For additional information, contact
Scholarships Program Manager