The Food Assistance Program or SNAP assists low-income individuals and families in Colorado to buy the food needed for a nutritionally adequate diet.
The program is offered in at least one location in all Colorado counties, ensuring that all eligible families have access to a healthy diet.
In order to qualify for SNAP, you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Live in Colorado
- Be a US Citizen or a lawful permanent resident
- Show proof of identity
- Meet certain income guidelines
- Have less than $2,250 in resources
As a condition of eligibility, all SNAP participants in Colorado are required to register for work, accept an offer of suitable work, or participate in the Employment First program, unless otherwise exempt.
ABAWD recipients who aren’t working or exempt are limited to three months of eligibility every 36 months.
- How do I apply for food stamps in Colorado?
Application for SNAP benefits can be made online at Colorado PEAK. Once an application is submitted, an eligibility worker will begin processing your case and schedule an interview if necessary.
If you are approved, your benefits should be available on your EBT card, called the Colorado Quest Card, within 30 days from the date of your application.
- What can you buy with food stamps in Colorado?
What you can buy with food stamps:
- Produce and canned goods
- Meat and dairy products
- Dried goods, beans and rice
- Breads and cereals
- Baby food and infant formula
- Soda, chips and candy
- Coffee and tea
- Seeds (whether for eating or planting)
What you cannot buy with food stamps:
- Hot food or any food that you eat in-store
- Pet food
- Alcoholic beverages
- Medicine and vitamins
- Non-edible household items like diapers, soap, laundry detergent or toilet paper
- Does Colorado EBT work in other states?
Yes. SNAP benefits are interoperable through the use of your EBT card which means you can use your Colorado EBT card wherever EBT is accepted anywhere in the United States including the District of Columbia, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Double Up Food Bucks is a program that doubles the value of SNAP benefits at participating markets and food retail stores. Here’s how it works.