The State of Maine Grant Program is a need-based program that provides grants to Maine undergraduate students who complete the FAFSA in time.
Because this is a need-based grant, your expected family contribution (EFC) must not exceed the maximum EFC set in any given year. The maximum EFC for the 2020–2021 academic year is 7,000. 1
The award amount is up to $1,500 per year for a full-time student. If you are enrolled less than full-time, you may be eligible for a pro-rated amount. 2
Eligibility Requirements #
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or an eligible non-citizen
- Must be a resident of Maine
- Be classified as an undergraduate student
- Be enrolled at least half-time at an eligible Maine college or university
- Must show substantial financial need with a valid EFC of 7,000 or less
How to Apply? #
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) no later than May 1 each year you plan to attend college. No other forms are required.
The college/university you attend will review your enrollment status and EFC and determine if you are eligible for the grant.
- The maximum EFC is based upon available funding and may be adjusted at any time.
- Students who are enrolled less than full-time may be eligible for up to $750 in the 2020–2021 academic year.