New Hampshire


Monthly Cash Benefit
Monthly SNAP Benefit
Maximum Weekly Benefit
Income Eligibility


New Hampshire prides itself in having the lowest percentage of residents and children living in poverty in the country.1

Yet there are still far too many single mother families in Granite State who barely struggle to provide basic day-to-day necessities for their children.

Due to a relatively high cost of living, NH families require a significantly higher level of income in order to afford basic necessities.

To ease their financial burden, the state of New Hampshire offers financial assistance to single mothers — giving them a chance at self-sufficiency.

01New Hampshire Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF)

New Hampshire passed legislation in 2017 to tie TANF benefit levels to 60% of the federal poverty line and to adjust them automatically each year. In 2018, the benefit was increased to $1,039, making it the most generous of any state.

The Financial Assistance for Needy Families Program (FANF) provides temporary cash benefits to low-income families with dependent children in New Hampshire. Eligibility is based on 4 different categories.

The cash assistance available under FANF is temporary in nature, and it’s limited to a maximum of 60 months. The amount depends upon the family’s income, resources, and living arrangements.

Those eligible for FANF cash assistance are also eligible for Medicaid; children of FANF eligible families are eligible for Healthy Kids Gold coverage.2

02New Hampshire Food Stamp Program

NH’s Food Stamp Program — officially called SNAP, provides eligible individuals and households with monthly benefits used to purchase food items at grocery stores, supermarkets or other participating food retailers.

The amount of your Food Stamp benefit depends upon your household size. A family of three in New Hampshire may receive about $320 per month.3

If you are accepted into the program, your benefits are automatically deposited to your EBT Card each month you are eligible. Unlike FANF cash benefits, Food Stamp benefits are issued exclusively via EBT.

Application for SNAP/FANF is done online via NH EASY, New Hampshire’s Electronic Application System where you can apply for assistance, check eligibility, track your application status, and more.

03New Hampshire Medicaid

The New Hampshire Medicaid serves needy individuals and families in New Hampshire who lack adequate resources to pay for medical care. It is also an important source of aid for elderly people in nursing homes.

Eligible participants are children under the age of 19, pregnant women, low-income families with children, and people who are aged, blind, or who have disabilities.

As New Hampshire is expanding Medicaid coverage, Medicaid now covers almost all non-elderly adults up to 133% of poverty and children with family incomes up to 318% of poverty.

To apply for Medicaid, go to NH EASY (available from 6:00 AM until 12:00 AM), and complete an application online. Proof of income & household circumstances is required.

04New Hampshire Child Care Scholarship

New Hampshire provides financial assistance for income-eligible New Hampshire families who need help paying for child care. This assistance is known as NH Child Care Scholarship.

Families with gross income below 250% of the federal poverty guidelines is eligible for NH Child Care Scholarship. Applicants must be working, looking for work, going to school, or involved in the NH Employment Program to qualify.


Families who receive Financial Assistance to Needy Families (FANF) and are in the FANF work program are given priority and will not be placed on the wait list.

To apply for a NH Child Care Scholarship, you must submit your application online at NH EASY or contact one of the Family Services Specialists (FSS) at 1-800-852-3345.

05New Hampshire Special Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC is a federally funded program that provides healthy supplemental foods for eligible pregnant women, new mothers, infants and children under age 5 who meet the income guidelines.

To be eligible, you must be a resident of the state of New Hampshire, have a medical or nutritional risk, and have a gross household income that does not exceed 185% of the federal poverty guidelines.

WIC Agencies provide services in all New Hampshire counties. You may call the State WIC Agency at 1-800-942-4321 to be connected to a WIC office closest to where you live.

06New Hampshire Rental Assistance Program

The rental assistance programs are funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). New Hampshire Housing helps qualified tenants with their rent payments by paying a portion of the monthly rent directly to the landlord.

Priority is given to extremely low-income families with children, those with household earnings less than 30% of an area’s median income.

To apply for rental assistance, complete the application form4 and return it to New Hampshire Housing at the address listed below.

New Hampshire Housing Finance Authority
Assisted Housing Division
PO Box 5087
Manchester, NH 03108
1-800-439-7247 (ext 9266)

07New Hampshire Fuel Assistance Program (FAP)

The Fuel Assistance Program (FAP) provides one-time financial assistance to qualified New Hampshire households who are having trouble paying for heat during the winter season.

The state of New Hampshire’s income guidelines are currently based on 200% of the federal poverty level. Priority is given to households with elderly members, disabled members, and/or households with young children.

Benefits range from $75 to $1,125, depending on household income and energy costs. To apply for Fuel Assistance, contact your local Community Action Agency (CAA) to set up an appointment.

08New Hampshire Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment insurance (UI) provides temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own — for up to 26 weeks. The state pays up to $427 per week.

As a condition of eligibility, you are required to actively seek suitable employment each week that you are collecting benefits. Failure to do so will result in denial of benefits.

Filing for unemployment compensation can be done either via online or by phone at 1-800-266-2252, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm EST.

  1., NH leads nation in lowest poverty rate.
  2. Healthy Kids Silver and Healthy Kids Gold will now be called Medicaid.
  3. USDA SNAP, How Much Could I Receive?
  4. Download/print the Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance Application