Home to 2.9 million people, the State of Kansas has its share of concern for the plight of single women with children.

Yes, the plight of those who work twice as hard and yet still struggle to make ends meet — unable to afford all of life’s basic necessities.

According to the latest data, as nearly one third of single mothers [36.5%] in the “Sunflower State” are living below poverty.

The State of Kansas hopes to ease the burden for many of these families by implementing various key support programs.

$Kansas Earned Income Tax Credit

Kansas offers its own state credit that is equal to 17% of the federal credit. Like the federal EITC, the Kansas credit is fully refundable, meaning a taxpayer can receive a refund amount when the credit is larger than the tax amount owed.

Working Kansans — primarily those with children — earning up to $52,000 can qualify for Kansas EITC, but the largest benefits go to families with incomes between about $10,000 and $23,000.

The amount of EITC depends on the recipient’s income, marital status and no. of children. To calculate the Kansas EITC, you would multiply your federal EITC by 17% — a federal EITC of $100 would net a $17 refund from the state.

1Kansas Food Assistance & Nutrition Program

The Food Assistance & Nutrition Program is a nutrition assistance program that provides monthly benefits to help families with little or no income buy the food they need to maintain adequate nutritional levels.

If eligible, you will receive an electronic EBT card, the Kansas Vision Card that is preloaded monthly with cash benefits. The card can be used to purchase food from local grocery stores.

Complete information regarding eligibility can be obtained by contacting your nearest Social and Rehabilitation Services Office or by calling 1-888-369-4777.

2Kansas Successful Families Program

The Successful Families Program is is the monthly cash assistance program for poor Kansas families with children under age 18. The program goal is to provide necessary assistance to needy families with children on a temporary basis.

In Kansas, receipt of cash assistance is now limited to 24 months in a lifetime. The amount of cash benefit provided depends upon your income and the county where you live.

The highest cash benefit a family of three may receive in high population county is $429. Families who get TANF may also get medical benefits and child care.

3KanCare — Medicaid for Kansas

KanCare — the new name for Kansas HealthWave, provides affordable health insurance for the uninsured adults and children ages 0 – 19 whose parents who can’t get or can’t afford private health insurance.

The cost of KanCare is based on a sliding income scale. Most families qualify with no out-of pocket expense, but some families may have to pay a $20 or $30 monthly premium per family.

If you are signing up for KanCare for the first time, you can call 1-800-792-4884 to request for application or apply electronically. Self-assessment tool is also available for you to see what you might be eligible for.

As Kansas is not expanding Medicaid coverage, many uninsured adults in Kansas who would have been newly-eligible for Medicaid will remain without a coverage. However, you may still be able to get financial assistance to pay for coverage in the marketplace.

4Kansas Special Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

Kansas WIC is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food and other services, at no cost, to Kansas families who qualify.

Kansas WIC serves women, infants, and children in Kansas whose gross income falls below certain limits;1 and who are at risk for nutritional deficiencies.

Find your local WIC program here

5Kansas Child Care Subsidy Program

The Kansas Child Care Subsidy Program provides subsidy for income-eligible Kansas families who need help paying for child care. Funding is limited and there is often a waiting list in place.

The subsidy amount varies based on the your gross monthly income, family size, and type and cost of care AND since it is a subsidy, you may be required to pay for some of the child care costs.

Pick up an application at any DCF Office in your town or county to enroll2 and for your convenience, you may apply online at Kansas’ Department for Children & Families. For more information, call 1-888-369-4777.

6Kansas Head Start

Kansas Head Start provides comprehensive educational, health, nutritional, and social services for low-income children from birth to entry into elementary school. Priority is given to children with special needs.

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Kansas and be responsible for a child who is too young for public school.

7Kansas Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment insurance benefits provide temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own that meet Kansas’ eligibility requirements.

If you meet the eligibility requirements of the law, you’re entitled to supplemental income while you are looking for a new job, up to a maximum of 26 full weeks in a one-year period.

To file a new application for unemployment benefits, go to www.GetKansasBenefits.gov or if you wish to file by phone, call one of the following numbers

(785) 575-1460
Kansas City
(913) 596-3500
(316) 383-9947
(800) 292-6333

Unemployment Contact Center Hours
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

8Kansas Comprehensive Grant

Funded by the state of Kansas, this grant is available to financially needy Kansas residents who are enrolled full-time at 18 private colleges and universities in Kansas, the six state universities, and Washburn University.

Award amounts range from $200 – $3,500 at the private institutions and $100 – $1,500 at the public institutions. To be considered, you must complete and submit the FAFSA, listing one or more eligible colleges in the FAFSA.

10Kansas Career Work-Study (KCWS)

The Kansas Career Work Study program is a state-funded program intended to provide employers with incentives to hire students to work in career-related positions.

It is available to Kansas residents, enrolled at least half-time at the six state universities and Washburn University — at least 6 credit hours during the Fall and Spring.

You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this program. If awarded, you will be advised of the maximum amount you can earn.

  1. To be eligible, a household’s gross income must not exceed 185% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
  2. DCF Office Locator