Monthly Cash Benefit
Monthly SNAP Benefit
Maximum Weekly Benefit
Income Eligibility


Aside from the obvious problem of raising children alone, single-parent families often face significantly different challenges than married couples.

With today’s often-miserable wages, some 37% of single mother families lack self-sufficiency — and are officially poor.

The state of Connecticut has been instrumental in providing extensive support to single mothers and other needy families.

With the state programs to back them up, every single mother in Connecticut has an equal chance to achieve self-sufficiency and ultimately escape poverty.

01Connecticut Earned Income Tax Credit (CT EITC)

The Connecticut EITC took effect in tax year 2011 and in the following years since, hundreds of thousands of Connecticut’s working families have benefited from the credit.

The refundable tax credit — currently set at 23% of federal EITC — is among the state’s most sensible and effective tools for helping working families struggling to get by on low wages.

The state program, layered on top of the federal credit, can only be claimed by people who earn income through work, and it’s fully refundable, so even if you owe no income tax, you can still claim the full credit amount.

Families with two children who earn less than $46,700 in 2019 can expect to receive up to $5,828 as a refundable credit — plus $1,340 additional credit from the state’s EITC.

02Connecticut Temporary Family Assistance (TFA)

Connecticut’s Temporary Family Assistance Program (TFA) provides monthly cash and employment assistance to eligible families throughout Connecticut to support basic needs such as food, shelter and clothing.

Unless otherwise exempt, most families with children in Connecticut are eligible for only 21 months of cash benefits and are required to participate in Jobs First Employment Services activities, coordinated by the Department of Labor.

TFA recipients may also be eligible for medical assistance under the Husky program, specifically, Husky A, which provides medical coverage under Medicaid.

03Connecticut Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)

SNAP is a nutrition program that helps individuals and families with little or no income buy and eat healthy food. You may qualify for SNAP benefits if your household’s income does not exceed 130% of the federal poverty guidelines.01

You may pre-screen your eligibility at ConneCT, under “Am I Eligible” which also pre-screens for cash and medical benefits, or apply for SNAP online, under “Apply for Benefits”.

If eligible, you will receive an electronic EBT card that is preloaded monthly with cash benefits. The card can be used to purchase food from local grocery stores. Look for the Quest Logo or another sign that states EBT or SNAP is accepted.


04Connecticut Special Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

WIC serves Connecticut’s women, infants and children up to age 5 who meet WIC eligibility guidelines; and are considered to be “at nutritional risk”.

It provides monthly benefits for buying healthy foods to supplement their diet. Other benefits include nutrition education, breastfeeding support, free screening and referral to health care, at no cost.

To qualify, you must be a resident of the state of Connecticut with income not exceeding 185% of the federal poverty guidelines; and be determined by a health professional to be at nutrition risk.

For more information, contact
State WIC Program
860 509 8084

05Connecticut HUSKY Health

The Healthcare for UninSured Kids and Youth (HUSKY) is Connecticut’s public health insurance program for children under age 19 and in some cases their parents or relative caregivers.

There are four (4) types of HUSKY plans, HUSKY A — D, that together provide health care coverage to more than 770,000 Connecticut residents.


HUSKY A, B, and D together are a health insurance program for Connecticut’s children, pregnant women, certain low-income parents and caretaker relatives, and a number of low-income adults. Husky C is Medicaid for the “aged, blind or disabled”.

Connecticut is operating a State-Based Marketplace, known as Access Health CT, through which you can screen for, apply for, and enroll in Medicaid or other private health insurance.

06Connecticut Care 4 Kids

Care 4 Kids helps low to moderate income families in Connecticut pay for child care costs. Since it is a subsidy, you may be expected to pay for some of the child care costs — known as Family Fee.

Eligibility is based on household income and family size. Families with incomes not exceeding 50% of the state median income level or about $3,000 for household of two are eligible for assistance.02

Start by filling out a Care 4 Kids Application and mail it to

Care 4 Kids
1344 Silas Deane Highway
Rocky Hill, CT 06067
1-888-214-KIDS (5437)

Due to the budget shortfall, the Office of Early Childhood (OEC) has closed enrollment for the program, leading to a current waitlist of about 3,000 families. The waitlist is projected to increase to 5,000 families by July 2017.

07Connecticut Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)

The Connecticut Energy Assistance Program is designed to help offset the winter heating costs of Connecticut’s lower income households, specifically those with incomes at or below 60% of the state median income.

Minimum basic benefit level is $275 for CEAP households, up to $660 in winter heating assistance for “vulnerable” households with one or more members who are elderly (age 60 or older), or who have a disability, or are under the age of 6.

Applications are now being accepted at Community Action Agencies intake sites throughout the state. Call 1-800-842-1132 for contact information on the intake site nearest you.

Households eligible for CEAP may also be eligible to receive Weatherization Assistance to help conserve energy and lower heating bills. Ask for a Weatherization Card or Referral Form if you are interested in the program.

08Connecticut Rental Assistance Program (RAP)

Rental Assistance Program is open to very-low-income families in Connecticut whose incomes must not exceed 50% of the median income for the county or metropolitan area in which the family chooses to live.

Most families pay 40% of their monthly income on rent & utilities, while families with elderly and disabled pay 30% of their monthly income. The rest of the rent is paid with federal money.

Currently, the demand for RAP exceeds resources, so the RAP waiting list is closed. However, you can register here to receive an automatic email notification when it reopens for new application.

09Connecticut Paid Family Leave

Connecticut is poised to become the seventh state in the U.S. to offer 12 paid weeks of paid leave to care for a new baby or sick family members, plus an additional two weeks of benefits for complicated pregnancies.

Connecticut guarantees 95% of their earnings up to $900 per week. However, employees aren’t eligible to start collecting benefits until it goes into effect in early 2022.


10Connecticut Unemployment Insurance

Unemployment Insurance (UI) provides temporary financial assistance to workers unemployed through no fault of their own. As a condition of eligibility, you are required to actively seek suitable employment each week that you are collecting benefits.

Connecticut’s current maximum UI weekly benefit rate is $706 — claimable for up to 26 weeks.03 You may be eligible for a dependency allowance of $15 weekly for each child under the age of 18.

Claims for weekly benefits may be filed online or call 1-800-942-6653 if you wish to file your initial claim over the phone, available from 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.04

11Roberta B. Willis Scholarship

The new Roberta B. Willis Scholarship (formerly the Governor’s Scholarship) establishes a single, consolidated aid program for residents who are undergraduates at in-state public and private institutions of higher education in Connecticut.

This need-based scholarship program replaces the state’s existing student aid programs

  1. Connecticut Aid to Public College Students (CAPCS)
  2. Connecticut Independent College Student Grant (CICSG)
  3. Capitol Scholarship
  4. Connecticut Aid to Charter Oak

Students who demonstrate financial need as determined by FAFSA’s expected family contribution (EFC) will be awarded up to $5,250 per academic year for full-time attendance in a 4-year program.

  1. What is the income limit for food stamps in CT?
  2. Care 4 Kids, Income Guidelines by Family Size
  3. How long can I get unemployment benefits in CT?
  4. How do I file for unemployment in CT?